1. JBRHA'S Open Access Initiative
The advent of online publication has greatly improved access to scientific content on a global scale. This has led to calls from the academic community for research publications to be made freely available online and immediately upon publication, without the barrier of paid subscription to access.
In response to these calls, and following consultation with journal contributors, the Editors of JBRHA launched an Open Access initiative for JBRHA in 1 June 2022. This means that manuscripts which submitted from 1 June 2022 and accepted after peer review will be published in JBRHA with open access under the CC BY license.
There are substantial costs associated with publishing a high quality journal such as JBRHA, including administration of the editorial process, production of the published version, and development of online functionality. Under a subscription-based model, these costs are mainly covered by charging libraries and individuals for access to the journal's contents. Under JBRHA's Open Access model, we aim to cover the costs of publication primarily through the use of an Article Processing Charge. For details, see: Article Processing Charge.
2. Open Access
In accordance with major definitions of open access in scientific literature (namely the Budapest, Berlin, and Bethesda declarations), JBRHA defines open access by the following conditions:
• Peer-reviewed literature is freely available without subscription or price barriers.
• Literature is immediately released in open access format (form) (no embargo period), and published material can be re-used without obtaining permission as long as a correct citation to the original publication is given.
Manuscripts which submitted from 1 June 2022 and accepted after peer review will be published in JBRHA with open access under the CC BY 4.0 license. This means:
• Everyone has free and unlimited access to the full-text of these articles published in JBRHA .
• Free for readers, with a comparatively low Article Processing Charges (APC) paid by authors or their funding bodies or institutions.
3. Benefits of Open Access for Authors
• Authors retain copyright. The use of a Creative Commons Attribution License enables authors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
• High quality and rigorous peer review. Open access publications run through the same peer review, production and publishing processes similar to journals and books published under the traditional subscription-based model do.
• Rapid publication. A streamlined and easy to use online submission and production process enables quick review, approval and publication.
• No space constraints. Publishing online means unlimited space for supplementary material including figures, extensive data and video footage.
• Compliance with open access mandates. Open access publications can comply with open access mandates from funding sources or academic institutions in the fastest and easiest way. Final articles can be deposited into bibliographic databases and institutional repositories without any embargo periods.
• Citation tracking and inclusion in bibliographic databases. Open access journals are deposited into bibliographic databases and institutional repositories without any embargo period just as traditional journals. The full text of all JBRHA published articles is immediately available to all without registration or subscription.
• Income of JBRHA staff and Editors are independent on the number of articles accepted, payments are based on their contracts with publisher.
Updated on 25 May 2022