J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2018 Sep-Oct;32(5):1007-1013.
Anatomical variations of the median nerve and of the vascular-nervous structures at the wrist.
- 1 Department of Anatomical, Histological, Medico-legal and Locomotor System Sciences, “Sapienza” University of Rome, Italy.
- 2 Department of Sensory Organs “Sapienza” University of Rome, Italy.
- 3 Department of Human Neurosciences “Sapienza” University of Rome, Italy.
- 4 Private Practice, Rome, Italy.
- 5 Service of Laboratory Medicine 1-Clinical Pathology, I.R.C.C.S. Policlinico San Donato, San Donato Milanese, Milan, Italy.
- # Contributed equally
Three cases of anatomical variation of the median nerve at the wrist found during our surgical activity led us to take the opportunity to expose anatomical variations by reviewing already published reviews. Consequently, on the basis of anatomical studies, clinical reports and imaging, as a result of careful examination of the published literature, it has been observed that the interventions in such anatomical area must take into account these variations. In particular, the most performed procedure is the lysis of the transverse carpal ligament (TCL), which is not free from complications. In our opinion it is therefore necessary, in order to avoid the complications of the nervous, vascular and tendinous sections, to use some specific technical procedures.